The Norwegian petroleum sector is the largest contributor to the national budget, and since the 1980s Kvale has been one of the leading Norwegian law firms within this sector. We have been involved in most of the field developments on the Norwegian continental shelf, dating back to the opening of the Statfjord and Gullfaks fields up to the present day. We have acted as counsel in some of the biggest and most complex oil & gas disputes and transactions on the Norwegian continental shelf (NCS).
We provide regulatory and contractual advice within the whole value chain, from establishing a company in Norway to exploration, development, production and up to cessation of the petroleum activities. The regulations and contracts are highly complex. During the years we have been able to build up an unique industry sector knowledge, which has been a key factor for establishing our position as a leading and top ranked oil & gas law firm. Kvale’s oil and gas practice is recognised as top-tier in the Legal 500 guide. Their report states:
“Kvale Advokatfirma DA provides a ‘superb service’ in regard to regulatory work, where clients include DONG and Statoil. Yngve Bustnesli is ‘excellent’ on oil and gas contracts and has handled a number of asset transactions, including for Atlantic Petroleum Norge. Team head Jens Brede is an expert oil and gas litigator.” (Legal 500 2015)
Our advice includes:
- Prequalification as licensee on the NCS
- Petroleum regulations with the appurtenant concession system (i.a. Petroleum Act with regulations, production licenses, joint operating agreements and accounting agreements etc.)
- HSE regulations, including preparation of management systems to comply with the requirements under the regulations (compliance)
- Construction agreements, seismic agreements, tie-in agreements, unitisation agreements, drilling contracts, rig hire agreements, insurance agreements, infrastructure access agreements, agreements on the sale and transport of oil and gas, agreements on the removal of disused offshore installations
- Agreements on the transfer of participating interests in licenses and transfer of shares in companies holding petroleum licenses including due diligence with preparation and negotiation of the applicable agreements and application to authorities
- Dispute resolution in relation to the petroleum regulations and the various contracts used in the sector
Kvale also advises the participants in the petroleum sector within other areas of law, including tax law, employment & labor law and competition law.